There are different tools for different purposes, and different tools for different levels of technical skill and interest. A variety of map-drawing tools are available:
1. Paper-only maps for those without internet access or who prefer paper.
2. Paper maps with a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to calculate population totals
- Public Participation Kit – Paper Map w/ Population ID#s (in English, Español, 中文, فارسی, 한국인, Tagalog or Tiếng Việt)
- Public Participation Kit – Excel Spreadsheet (in English, Español, 中文, فارسی, 한국인, Tagalog or Tiếng Việt)
3. DistrictR – a simple online map drawing tool to easily draw neighborhoods or communities of interest.
4. Caliper’s Maptitude Online Redistricting – a mapping tool to draw maps census block by census block and submit maps electronically.
5. Interactive Review Map – to review, analyze, and compare maps, not to create them. Zoom in and out on map boundaries, view population counts/ID#s, and view draft maps (once the draft maps are released). Similar to Google Maps in ease of use.
6. Story Map – an easy to use “story” of demographic and other data to learn about your community and identify “communities of interest.” Story Map is similar to PowerPoint but interactive. Story Map is to review and analyze data, not to create maps.
Submit maps to firstname.lastname@example.org. After you submit your map, the demographic consultants will generate the population and other demographic details for your proposed map. Maps can be viewed on the Draft Maps page or on the Interactive Review Map (link coming soon!).
It is helpful if you submit written comments with your map describing how your map was drawn to meet the required criteria. An example of this would be describing the specific neighborhoods or communities of interest that are kept within a single district.
If you would like to submit a map created using your own software, please email to email@example.com and include: (1) a GIS Shapefile and/or a Census Block equivalency file (using 2020 Census Blocks); and, (2) a description of the choices and key points of your map.